We’ll start the before and after series with all the basics.
Here are the default team sites for each version.
SharePoint 2007 :
SharePoint 2010 :
What’s new :
- The landing page is called Home now. (Don’t confuse this with your intranet home page).
- Site Actions has moved to the left.
- New edit option tags for the page.
- The Search box has been combined into one field.
- There are “I like it” and “Tag it and Notes” options, (not available in Foundation).
- View All Site Content has become All Site Content and has moved to the bottom of the Quick Launch.
- No more global navigation breadcrumbs.
- No more links to My Sites and My Links, (My Sites are on the dropdown next to your account name).
- Site Pages is new – it’s the wiki the home page is made up of, everything on it is editable.
- Sites are made up of pages, some of which you can edit, some you can’t, (called system pages).
- Announcements, Calendars and Links have been replaced with a Welcome note, Shared Documents and Getting Started – the themes section could keep you busy all day.
The Good :
- No more in and out of Content Editor Web Parts to modify the landing page, it’s in easy to edit wiki format.
- The online help is VASTLY better than it was!!!
- Once you get used to the new look and navigation, it’s a dream.
The Bad : No more global navigation. Does not play well with Google Chrome.
And the Ugly : No more My Links. This is a pity, it was a very handy, widely used tool.