It’s not easy to find an IT person with the patience to teach end users a new system – any system – and most especially SharePoint. These are direct quotes I’ve had from students when they’ve been trained by IT :
- They’re scary.
- They make us feel stupid.
- They get irritated and impatient with us when we don’t get it right the first time.
- They don’t let us try and give us time to practice.
- They rush us through it and expect us to just get it when we don’t have the IT skills they do.
- They shout us down when we suggest things.
- They think they know it all, but they don’t know my job and my challenges.
- They don’t listen.
Learning any new skill is a tender process that needs empathy, tact, patience, support and understanding. If you don’t have the time or inclination to pay attention to newbies like you’re supposed to, rather outsource it to someone who can. You don’t realise how easily you can crush passion and enthusiasm in people – and can any company afford to have employees with crushed spirits who become afraid to learn anything new? Please, be kind to learners.